The S-5-U Clamp os the most versatile roof clamp of all the S-5!® clamp series. Being the first roof clamp, and most successful, developed by S-5!® founder Rob Haddock; the S-5-U clamp is meant to be user friendly. It can be used by almost anyone for almost any project that requires an object to be attached to a standing seam metal roof or wall fascia.
Rob Haddock developed the S-5-U clamp with these things in mind.
- People are always trying to attach something to a metal roof. This would include: HVAC equipment, screen and piping, walkways, plumbing vents, satellite dishes, snow retention systems, solar collectors, advertising signage, fall-protection systems, etc. Solution: the S-5-U clamp
- Despite what needs to installed on a metal roof, roof penetration should be avoided whenever possible. Solution: the S-5-U clamp
- Instead of the seams of a metal roof being a convenient way to connect metal panels to each other, why not have it be a place to attach an anchoring mechanism. Solution: the S-5-U clamp
- Clamps should be made from non-corrosive metals. Aluminum and stainless steel are compatible with every metal except copper. In that case a brass roof clamp has been developed. Solution: the S-5-U clamp
- A roof clamp should form to the profile and seam folding. The S-5-U clamp has been very successful over the last twenty years, but without the rest of the S-5! clamp family only a fraction of metal roofs could be serviced with such a revolutionary invention. Solution: the S-5-U clamp
(Haddock, Rob. “Metal Roofing from A to Z – Part VII.” Pgs. 41-42)